incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [CODE] Is main/filter/source/config/tools/merge/pyAltFCFGMerge really needed
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:46:24 GMT
Hi,

On 23.03.2012 16:27, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> On 03/23/12 10:23, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my work on the LICENSE and NOTICE files I stumble over file
>> main/filter/source/config/tools/merge/pyAltFCFGMerge
>>
>> I am not sure, if we really need this file:
>> - A look into its usage in main/filter/source/config/fragments/makefile.mk
>> reveals that it is only needed, if we are building without Java.
>>
>> As far as I know Java is a build prerequisite. Or am I wrong here?
>> If it is a build prerequisite, then we can get rid of this file.
>>
>> I had build on Windows 7 and Ubuntu and had to install Java for it.
>>
>> Does somebody had experience on certain platforms building without Java?
>>

> FWIW, there is a configure option to disable java but it's broken:
> attempting to use it breaks the build in ant.

Yes, I have seen this option during my investigation of this file and it
confuses me, because Java was required on my attempts for Windows and Ubuntu -
as I found it in the corresponding wiki documentation about building our
project. (Yes, I know that this documentation is not up to date, but as far as I
know we did not change anything regarding the usage of Java in the build
process. Please correct me, if I am wrong here.

Thus, your experience with the configure option - on BSD I assume - shows that
Java is needed for the build in your environment.

Best regards, Oliver.