incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] NOTICE and LICENSE file
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 11:47:40 GMT
Hi,

> I will have a look at the NOTICE and the LICENSE file - both located in main/ -,
> if there is something missing.
>
> Pedro already did a great job here - I am more or less expecting that everything
> is already covered in these files.
>
> If there is any input regarding its content, please provide the information here
> - Thanks in advance.
>
> I will mainly assure that the notices and licenses of the current work regarding
> the RAT scan which results in certain entries in the rat-excludes are also
> covered in the NOTICE and LICENSE file.
>
> Help is very welcome here.
> Thus again, if you know of the one or the other 3rd party
> component/library/code, drop me a note. I will check, if these are reflected in
> these files.

Before starting to work on these files I had a look at the corresponding Apache
policies/rules/... regarding these files - [1], [2], [3]

I have discovered [9] which more or less state that an entry into the NOTICE
file is mostly not needed and depends on the specific license of the 3rd party
component.
Having a look at the LICENSE and NOTICE file of Apache httpd project seems to
confirm this.

Pedro, do you consider [9] when you did your hard work on the NOTICE file?

Mentors (and others too, of course), do you have certain advise what kind of
wordings in a license makes an entry in the NOTICE file necessary?

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
[2] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html
[3] http://apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

[9] http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices