incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][PROPOSAL] redirection of update services to www.openoffice.org
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:41:35 GMT
Hi,

On 22.03.2012 22:35, Kay Schenk wrote:
> As we all know, the program update services, the actual update equipment
> and the services they provided have not worked *in a while*, they are
> non-responsive.
>
> 1) Background and Problem
>
> This would include the following URLS:
>
> update.services.openoffice.org
> update30.services.openoffice.org
> update31.services.openoffice.org
> update32.services.openoffice.org
> update33.services.openoffice.org
> update34.services.openoffice.org
> update35.services.openoffice.org
> update36.services.openoffice.org
>
> Pings to these don't return.
>
> These are referenced in the program in a user's "install
> location"/program/"version init file"
>
> the name of "version init file" varies by installation platform.
>
> Each of the update services above typically included a check for update
> area with the name--
> .../ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>
> A complete URL example (referenced in the version file):
> update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update(?"optional
> params")
>
> "check.Update" would normally be an xml feed which would include, as part
> of its entry for each platform, and language version, a pointer to another
> URL which would actually have and install the update for the given system.
> See details and  notes on this at:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol
>

> 2)  Proposed Solution
> Several participants on this list have been researching the "Update
> Notification Protocol" and creating "snippets" of the feeds (both simple
> and atom) for very limited one platform situations. However, the creation
> of a complete feed for all platforms has not been done ... yet. More
> research and development time is needed for this.
>
> Meanwhile, many current OOo users who either use the "check for updates"
> feature of their program or have updates "automatically enabled" continue
> to be frustrated with the unavailability of the update service.
>
> Although we still have not solved the problem of *HOW* to re-create the
> complete service (feed), we can create a "null" placeholder feed for all
> services mentioned in 1) that would return the message:
>
> "OpenOffice x.x is up to date"
>
> Essentially, all update services mentioned above would be redirected an
> appropriate area on the current web server, www.openoffice.org, which would
> return "no" information in placeholder feeds for each update service.
>

> Thoughts?

First, Thx Kay for the summary.

 From my side a +1 to this proposal.
 From my point of view the "no" information placeholder is a temporary solution
to fullfill the purpose to avoid the frustation of our users of former versions.
It should be working until our AOO 3.4 release (may be 1 or 2 weeks longer).

When AOO 3.4 is out my expectation is that we provide a platform-independent and
language-independent "check.Update" information which provides a download
website which the user can open in her/his browser from the office's update
service dialog. On this website we can state that AOO 3.4 is out and that the
user should have a look, if a corresponding package for her/his platform and
language is available for download and installation.

Best regards, Oliver.