incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer ...@a-w-f.de>
Subject Re: Rat scan vs SGA
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:05:13 GMT
On 20.03.2012 21:44, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 3/20/2012 8:18 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I compared the output of the Rat scan (section "Unapproved Licenses:")
>> with the SGA and here is the result:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~af/ratscan-sga.zip
>>
>> There are 4575 files in the Rat scan that have unapproved licenses and
>> which need our attention. Only 138 of these are not in the SGA.
> Thanks for looking at this Andre.
> I have been looking at this, and my first couple of attempts at running
> my ALv2 header scripts on them were not so successful, as the problem is
> a bit more complex than replacing headers. It is difficult to determine
> if the current files need a header, and this makes the process harder.
>
> * some files are empty (no header needed)
> * some files are very short with no 'creative content' (no header
> needed) - but what is short? 1 line - 2 lines - 10 lines. (I'm not
> sure)
> * short file with creative content (need header but the header is
> longer than the content) - this is not so good... there is an
> option of a shortened ALv2 header which I think is needed here

I do not see a technical problem with the license header being longer
than the other content.  It is just not aesthetically pleasing,
something that we will have to live with.

> * file types that do not allow a header or comments (may need header
> but we have no way to do it - I think there are some files in this
> group, but I don't have a specific list)

What file types are you thinking of?

> * binary files such as .jpeg, .png, .odX that should have a header
> inside, but are more complex in terms of adding a header (more
> difficult than my current perl script)

Is a license header in image files really necessary?  Can the Rat tool
handle this?

As to .odX (you mean .odt, .odp, .odc,... right?):  We could put the
license header into description.xml: Extract the .description.xml from
the .odX, add the license header like you do for any other xml file, and
put it back into the .odX.

> * binary files (mostly odt) that may not need a header (as the header
> would get seeded into a users work, changing the license of their work)
>
> This set is more difficult.

I am willing (an probably able) to help with the above.  Just tell me
what to do.

-Andre