incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: IP clearance issues
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:55:35 GMT
On 3/19/12 5:32 PM, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> On 03/19/12 05:03, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>>
>>> I see .. That testing is very important, thanks.
>>>
>>> I guess I am rather worried that our first reviewer actually
>>> thought he could trust us on the IP review. I suspect I have
>>> also been the only looking at the NOTICE and LICENSE files.
>>
>> you were not the only one but I had nothing to add so far ;-)
>>
>> But I don't know if you have the feedback on general@incubator to my
>> request for early feedback.
>>

> Yes, and that's precisely why I am worried ;-).
>> Marvin was surprise that our LICENSE file contains ALv2 license only
>> and list not all licenses of used externals.
>>
> No finger pointing but this was a surprise for me too: we were wrongly
> advised that LICENSE should only carry the AL2.
>
> I added a DISCLAIMER file (I used Apache OpenOffice but please note that
> officially we still are the Apache OpenOffice.org incubator), And I did
> some
> more cleanups on the thirdpartylicenses.html which is a good basis to
> complete the information.
>
> I plan to merge the remaining licenses but I want to keep the same
> order as in the NOTICE file: we have the non-Apache stuff in two
> sections according to the license category.
>
>> Any opinions on this how we can address this best?
>>

> The great weakness I've seen is that we have left most work to
> Andrew and this shouldn't be a one man effort. Normal audits
> are done by N volunteers dividing the tree in N parts, and binaries
> (particularly zip files) have to be reviewed too.
I agree it shouldn't be a one man show and it depends on Andrew a little
bit. When he says he has finished the header cleanup from an Oracle
perspective we can start to take a closer look on the other remaining
files based on the RAT output.

That said ...
> if we had an updated OpenGrok or a real equivalent it would be
> a lot easier.
of course a working OpenGrok would be nice. We have a local instance
running that gets updated every night but that doesn't help you at the
moment :-(

Well my first approach to ask for OpenGrok on the infrastructure mailing
list was not promising and I gave up after some emails at this time and
concentrated on other more important things.

But I will try it again because the alternatively proposed tools haven't
convinced me. So many things where people can start working on ...

> As I said we don't need coders for this but this is a good way to
> get to know the components and code structure under OO.

volunteers are welcome indeed ;-)

Juergen