incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Sourceforge and AOO 3.4 distribution
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:17:15 GMT
Hi Ross,

On 3/19/12 4:03 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> I just had a call with Roberto from SourceForge in which he updated me
> on what they've done with the templates and extensions sites. I asked
> Roberto to send a summary to this list, but I just wanted to extend my
> thanks to him and the team at SourceForge, along with the people here
> in AOO and ASF infra who have helped.
>
> Roberto also asked if there is anything SF can do to help distributing
> the AOO 3.4 We've discussed this a few times but as we are now close
> to a release I think it is worth recapping and making sure everything
> is lined up OK.

good timing, I just send out an email today to infrastructure-dev to ask
what kind of preparation we need for our upcoming release.

In a first response I got some feedback that the required (and expected
growing) size will probably a problem in the future.

I prepared also some rough estimation based on 4 platforms and 13
languages (similar to the provided dev snapshots)

See form example:

Platforms
=========
We plan to release Windows, Linux, MacOS

FreeBSD is handled separately directly from the BSD guys

Solaris can be seen as a further possible candidate in the future.

Products
========
AOO is a end-user oriented product and the user experience is important.
That means we would like to provide language specific binary builds for
our users to provide the same comfort and user experience as before.

Languages
=========
AOO was available in ~100 languages and it would be nice if we can
address as much as possible but for the beginning we would at least
start with languages where we got feedback and/or new translations for.

en-US de fr es it ja zh-CN pt-BR nl ru hu fi zh-TW

Probably more language packs when we have the translations ready

Some numbers about the required space
=====================================

A first rough estimation about the required space. We would need round
about ~12GB for a proposed release for the 4 platforms (Windows, Linux
(x86, x86-64), MacOS) and 13 languages.

It can grow quite fast if we want release Solaris as well and more
languages.

Source Releases
===============
aoo-3.4-src.zip = ~373MB
aoo-3.4-src.tar.gz = ~312MB
aoo-3.4-src.tar.bz2 = ~250MB
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~3K
Size = ~935MB

MacOS
=====
dmg = ~160MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~10K
Size = 13 * 160MB = 1.69GB

Windows
=======
download exe = 109MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~10K (not verified yet)
Size = 13 * 109MB = 1.417GB

Linux
=====
x86
rpm.tar.gz = 139MB
deb.tar.gz = 138MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~20K ((not verified yet))
Size = 13 * 138MB + 9 * 139MB = ~3.6GB

x86-64
rpm.tar.gz = 148MB
deb.tar.gz = 147MB
number of languages = 13
asc, md5, sha1, sha512 files = ~20K (not verified yet)
Size = 13 * 148MB + 9 * 147MB = ~3.835GB