incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: update service - proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:53:47 GMT
Hi,

On 18.03.2012 18:10, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:03 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann<
> orwittmann@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 15.03.2012 12:47, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have continued the work started by Regina, Ariel and Kay regarding the
>>> update
>>> service.
>>> I have documented my findings at [1].
>>>
>>> I think we have everything together to bring a corresponding web service
>>> back to
>>> life.
>>>
>>> I think we have at least two options for such a web service.
>>>
>>> If we want to create a 'real' web service which on demand creates an
>>> appropriate
>>> response the HTTP GET request contains all needed information in its
>>> header
>>> fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" to implement such a web service.
>>> The "User-Agent" field contains the operating system, the machine
>>> architecture
>>> and the bundled languages of the installed office. If a corresponding
>>> installation package of newer version is available a corresponding
>>> response can
>>> be generated.
>>>
>>> Another solution could be to provide a static XML document, based on an
>>> atom
>>> feed, which contains as much entries as installation packages for the
>>> latest
>>> version are available. For each installation package which defines itself
>>> by the
>>> operating system, the machine architecture and the bundled languages an
>>> entry is
>>> needed. Such entries need to be duplicated for every existing office
>>> installation with different<UpdateID>  in its version.ini.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, comments, corrections, ...?
>>>
>>> BTW, the update service of a certain installed office can be tested
>>> locally. No
>>> HTTP GET request is involved in this case, but you can test with certain
>>> XML
>>> documents provided as responses. You can change the value of<UpdateURL>
>>> in file
>>> <version.ini>  of your office installation to a local file URL - e.g. under
>>> Windows to something like file:///C:/check.update.xml
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>>> Notification_Protocol#A_**glance_on_the_code_for_the_**
>>> Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#A_glance_on_the_code_for_the_Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release>
>>>

>> The<UpdateURL>  in the installed OOo 3.3 instances is
>> http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
>> Update<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>> .
>> This is no longer available. This also annoys our users I think.
>>
>> If we can redirect this URL and the redirection would provide the
>> following XML document the corresponding update service in these offices
>> will reply "<your office>  is up to date"
>> The XML document which needs to be provided only has to contain this XML
>> snippet:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <inst:description xmlns:inst="http://**installation.openoffice.org/**
>> description<http://installation.openoffice.org/description>">
>> </inst:description>
>>
>> Can someone implement the redirect?
>> May be http://www.openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>can
be used as the redirect. Here, I think it was Kay, already an XML
>> document exists which only needs to be updated.
>>
>> Note: I have also an OOo 3.1 installed. Here the<UpdateURL>  is
>> http://update32.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
>> Update<http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>> .
>> May be we should redirect all URL matching http://update3[0..6].services.*
>> *openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>>

> Oliver--
>
> Hi -- I missed this post until just now.
>
> I can put this code snippet in in
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> as you suggest.
>
> ...and send a note to INFRA regarding the DNS changes
>
> However, I'm a bit concerned with telling users (and perhaps folks using a
> very old version) that their version is "up to date" when it isn't.  Is
> this all we can do about this right now?

May be we should revise my above proposal as a temporary solution until AOO 3.4
is ready:
- redirect URL http://update36.services... to the new URL
--> OOo 3.3.0 update service should answer with a "up to date"
- redirect URLs http://update3[0..5].services... to another URL which provides
an XML snippet containing the download link to the OOo 3.3.0 download website.
--> OOo 3.0.0 ... OOo 3.2.1 update service should answer with a "update
available, please go to ..."

A "con" of this solution would be that even, if the download link does not
contain any package for the specific installed OOo 3.0.0 ... OOo 3.2.1

Any further thoughts?

Best regards, Oliver.