incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: Doctype of websites
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2012 00:10:14 GMT
Am 03/15/2012 04:41 PM, schrieb Christian Lohmaier:
> Hi Dave, *,
>
> probably one of my last messages on the list since I'll be gone with
> the forwarder.. (so assume I will not read replies tomorrow/whenever
> the switch is flipped)
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>  wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Old OOo pages were xhtml transitional, that is correct. And at least
> the www.openoffice.org and de.openoffice.org pages were fully valid
> (according to the w3c validator)
>
> CollabNet Enterprise Edition (that was used before Kenai, and after
> SourceCast (the old name of older version of CollabNet Enterprise
> Edition that was used even earlier) did as well ignore the doctype and
> other meta-tags, but merged title and meta tags into the overall
> templating system.
> So all pages were delivered as xhtml - of course that didn't make them
> valid, but that means that they worked for the users and editors with
> that doctype.
>
>> [...]
>> I think that ssi.mdtext should add a line like:
>>
>> doctype:<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> Please don't turn back the wheel of time. If you want to make a
> unification, then I suggest you either user xhtml transitional, or
> make the step to html5 right away as default.

+1

I've tried hard to make at least the download webpages W3C conform
(error and warning free) with xhtml doctype.

Unfortunately, after the migration to Apache this is no longer visible:
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

New game, new work. ;-)

So, would be great to keep the more modern direction.

Marcus