incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: update service - proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:03:26 GMT
Hi,

> I have continued the work started by Regina, Ariel and Kay regarding the update
> service.
> I have documented my findings at [1].
>
> I think we have everything together to bring a corresponding web service back to
> life.
>
> I think we have at least two options for such a web service.
>
> If we want to create a 'real' web service which on demand creates an appropriate
> response the HTTP GET request contains all needed information in its header
> fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" to implement such a web service.
> The "User-Agent" field contains the operating system, the machine architecture
> and the bundled languages of the installed office. If a corresponding
> installation package of newer version is available a corresponding response can
> be generated.
>
> Another solution could be to provide a static XML document, based on an atom
> feed, which contains as much entries as installation packages for the latest
> version are available. For each installation package which defines itself by the
> operating system, the machine architecture and the bundled languages an entry is
> needed. Such entries need to be duplicated for every existing office
> installation with different <UpdateID> in its version.ini.
>
> Any thoughts, comments, corrections, ...?
>
> BTW, the update service of a certain installed office can be tested locally. No
> HTTP GET request is involved in this case, but you can test with certain XML
> documents provided as responses. You can change the value of <UpdateURL> in file
> <version.ini> of your office installation to a local file URL - e.g. under
> Windows to something like file:///C:/check.update.xml
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#A_glance_on_the_code_for_the_Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release

The <UpdateURL> in the installed OOo 3.3 instances is
http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.
This is no longer available. This also annoys our users I think.

If we can redirect this URL and the redirection would provide the following XML
document the corresponding update service in these offices will reply "<your
office> is up to date"
The XML document which needs to be provided only has to contain this XML snippet:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<inst:description xmlns:inst="http://installation.openoffice.org/description">
</inst:description>

Can someone implement the redirect?
May be http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update can be used
as the redirect. Here, I think it was Kay, already an XML document exists which
only needs to be updated.

Note: I have also an OOo 3.1 installed. Here the <UpdateURL> is
http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update.
May be we should redirect all URL matching
http://update3[0..6].services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

Best regards, Oliver.