incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Implementation of genitive case of month names (posessive context)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:54:02 GMT
On 3/14/12 12:48 AM, Larry Gusaas wrote:

> On 2012-03-13 3:33 PM Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Larry Gusaas<larry.gusaas@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> None of which answer my question. "Shouldn't the release be "Apache
>>> OpenOffice 3.4"?
>>>
>>> The wiki page
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Current+Status+FAQ
>>> states:
>>> "Future releases from the OpenOffice.org domain will be called "Apache
>>> OpenOffice"." and"
>>> "Once Apache OpenOffice v3.4 is released, the project recommends you
>>> replace
>>> your OpenOffice.org installation with it."
>>>
>> That wiki is just Simon having a spirited conversation with himself.
>> I would not use it for anything more than a source of entertainment.
>> On a slow day,
>
> Your constant snide remarks are insulting. Their were many useful
> comments on his contributions in the thread he started. Yours aren't.
>
>>> However the developer snapshots still install as "OpenOffice.org".
>>>
>>> So which name will the release version use? Is that clearer so you can
>>> understand the question?
>>>
>> Actually that would have been a simpler question to ask. What you
>> actually did is interject into a thread about calendar localization
>> and when I wrote "We are in our final weeks of testing and bug fixing
>> for our OpenOffice 3.4 release" you started asking questions about why
>> I had not said "Apache OpenOffice 3.4". I hope you can see how that
>> was not a very good way of raising a new, entirely unrelated subject
>> in an exiting thread.
>
> Blah blah blah.
>
>> In any case, in the latest dev snapshots the about box says "Apache
>> OpenOffice". There may be places where the changes has not yet been
>> made, in the code and on the website.
>
> Quit avoiding the question. I said "However the developer snapshots
> still install as "OpenOffice.org"."
>
> In my Applications folder it is listed as "OpenOffice.org.app". When I'm
> using it the menu bar says OpenOffice.org.
>
> I thought the discussion several months ago decided on Apache OpenOffice
> for both the project and application. If that is correct, when are you
> going to change the name of the application?

The full change of the name of the installation directory or application
name is planned for future release because it requires more careful work
to not break something. Both names are correct and I see no problem here
for now. We decided to change some visible places (intro image, about
box, some others) to reflect the new home and the slightly adapted name.
And we also agreed to talk officially about Apache OpenOffice from now
on. But as we have discussed it in detail, many users talk about
OpenOffice only so it doesn't matter yet. If you have a problem with
this approach you should start a new thread explaining it in detail that
we can understand it.

Juergen