incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:56:26 GMT
On 03/13/12 19:30, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> [...]

I am not denying their existance. I have said in the past that if
someone get to write it we can have a webpage for derived
code.

In the proposed FAQ "Where can I download an update for
OpenOffice" it is simply out of place.

> Lemme set the record straight about what I've seen subversion do:
> last year they mentored a GSoC student who wanted to develop a better
> subversion ->  git migration tool than what git-svn does natively.
> Instead of laughing at the student, they worked with him on the proposal
> and Google accepted it.  At that point they made him a "partial committer"
> and oversaw his work in their subversion repo.  They brought him along
> to the point where the code was good enough to go into a release, and
> if you look for svnrdump you will see it's already in the 1.7 line.

Non-profit doesn't necessarily mean altruistic. We all do things
that we are not paid to do (at least I do) and things that don't
directly benefit us (again my case here), but that doesn't mean
we are easily convinced to do things we don't like are we don't
care about for the greater good of humanity.

This lies more in the field of religion but is usually classified as
the difference between divine love and human love.

> Contrast that with the attitude the AOO developer team would show to
> a person wanting to contribute an AOO ->  LO migration tool to the ASF.
> Like night and day.

If you are volunteering to mentor such a project just go ahead.

Pedro.