incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:14:37 GMT
On 03/13/12 18:45, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>> No, It's really very simple: we have developer snapshots and we
>> want people to test them. At this precise time we need testers and
>> people reporting bugs in the release. Bug reports from someone
>> running LibreOffice are not useful to us.
> The question isn't what's useful to *you*, it's what's useful to *them*.
> Yes it'd be great if every user volunteered to be a sacrificial guinea
> pig for us, but users have their own problems to think about too.

Well ... I don't think that LibreOffice would be the best option. To
be honest I would point people to Microsoft Office. It has
less bugs, it has full support and every time you buy it you
help the economy and the many professional developers
behind it that feed their families.

If people can't afford that and/or you mean strictly an OpenOffice
replacement... end users would by happy with Lotus Symphony
which is free. (no FreeBSD port yet though).

Both options would mean someone else would be helping them, not
me, and I can't really take the responsibility if their experience in
another camp becomes sour so I recommend what I know and
control. It's not like I am going to take Google out of their choices.

>> No silly games were played, unless you mean the line about trying
>> LO as an interim solution (by Simon). I personally think such a
>> suggestion is rather offensive with the developers that have been
>> putting a huge effort for this release.
> Yeah well I'm suggesting this isn't the most convivial attitude for you
> to adopt as a participant in a public charity.  Yes you all should be proud
> of your accomplishments to date, I'm very happy with the progress so far.
> But Simon's suggestion about using LO isn't offensive to me as an Apache
> mentor of this project at all, and it shouldn't be to you.  No matter what
> sort of crappy attitude you get back from LO proponents, you should try
> to be the adults in the conversation more often than not.

I don't think anyone is being a child here but at this point we all have
one objective: release. Anything else seems out-of-place and is not
really what we do for helping people.

> Well my point was about looking out for the entire user community,
> and breaking interoperability for extension authors is not a small
> matter no matter who does it.  IOW that is a problem you should
> work to resolve with the LO team, not to point fingers at each other
> about.

I *am* looking at the entire community but this particular line of
discussion has no connection with the technical issues which
have and will likely continue to appear.

Pedro.