incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:29:32 GMT
On 03/13/12 18:00, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> [...]

No, It's really very simple: we have developer snapshots and we
want people to test them. At this precise time we need testers and
people reporting bugs in the release. Bug reports from someone
running LibreOffice are not useful to us.

No silly games were played, unless you mean the line about trying
LO as an interim solution (by Simon). I personally think such a
suggestion is rather offensive with the developers that have been
putting a huge effort for this release.

>> Sure I love the idea of having a great family playing under the same
>> umbrella but realistically that is not happening and if people want
>> to work with us the best place to do it is here.
> Well you still have some harder collective choices to make regarding
> interoperability once you start gearing up for a 4.0 release that
> may provide an upgrade path for 3.4 users but will diverge from
> the plans of the LibreOffice team.  Having an open communication
> channel will benefit both communities as well as the entire user
> base of both products, don't you think?

This discussion has nothing to do with interoperability. We can
be different and each project will support their own releases
looking at the other over the shoulder and still interoperate.

This said and this is only IMHO: I think we can forget about
interoperability beyond the standard ODF. In at least a case
I am aware of, LO is breaking the extensions API and has
no interest to share the changes.

I think eventually both projects will diverge completely but I
don't think that is so bad: I think we want both projects to
be extremely cool in different ways.

Pedro.

(And now I am going back to coding... :) )