incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:51:39 GMT
Hi Joe;

Iwas confused about Simon and his relationship to this project so now
that it's clear he is not a committer or PPMC member, I do respect that
he is entitled to his opinion and he is indeed welcome to express it
here.

That said ...

On 03/13/12 17:36, Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>>   At Apache we aren't in competition with other projects,
>>>   we provide our work for the public benefit and leave
>>>   discretion about adoption to the public.  Please keep
>>>   that in mind, and stick to providing resources that
>>>   benefit general members of the public.

In general I am OK with that, but I think here we talk with the code:
Other projects can take our code and integrate it with their project
and we like and encourage that but that doesn't mean we are going
to recommend their project in our webpages or wikis.

Do you really think we are doing all this hard work to put together
a release to recommend people to download something else?

Sure I love the idea of having a great family playing under the same
umbrella but realistically that is not happening and if people want
to work with us the best place to do it is here.

And that's basically what I mean with wearing an Apache hat.

Also please note that email is a poor method of communication that
doesn't express well what the writer is thinking: when I make a public
comment and I follow it with a wink " ;) " you are expected to take
it with a grain of salt.

regards,

Pedro.