incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <and...@pitonyak.org>
Subject Re: Clarifying facts
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:02:18 GMT

If YOU (the reader) disagree with a specific statement in the original
post (shown below if you really need to see it), please be specific
about which statement and how you would fix the statement. As an
example, some clarification was provided that left me less confused with
respect to the developers currently working on the project.

Off hand, I agree with the general facts of the statements. I see that
some take issue with the tenor; I disagree with that but I also see it
as mostly irrelevant with respect to the facts.

Oh, and I tip my hat to you Mr. Phipps for your starting this:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Current+Status+FAQ

Seems you digested this much better than I.

On 03/13/2012 12:25 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Probably because of all the progress being made towards a v3.4 release, I have been getting
an increasing number of enquiries about the status of Apache OpenOffice from a variety of
sources.  I'm attempting, in good faith, to maintain an objective status summary the Apache
OpenOffice incubator project to report to these enquiries.

> I've had a commentator assert that the statements below are uninformed and made-up. I
believe based on my observations all of the following statements to be true about the Apache
project; can you let me know if they are not, please, so I can present a factual status of
the project when asked?
> The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary under the new name "Apache
OpenOffice" at some point soon, which will probably be numbered v3.4.
> The release is being developed by a subset of the original developers augmented by others.
> There have been no updates to OpenOffice.org binaries released for users since Oracle
stopped development.
> There will be no new versions of a binary program called OpenOffice.org released.
> No downloads of OpenOffice.org containing bug fixes or security updates have been made
available for end users since Oracle stopped development.
> The Apache OpenOffice project now controls the original OpenOffice.org domain (via the
ASF) and plans to use it for future promotion of the Apache OpenOffice project.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php