incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:43:18 GMT
On 03/13/12 10:50, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi Shane,
>
> On Mar 13, 2012, at 5:23 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
>> +1 to Pedro's point that the main end-user channel is crucially important.
>>
>> In one way, it feels like there are two discussions in this sub-thread:
>>
>> - Rob zeroing in on his infographic idea (and building at least a small subset of
good data on participant history).  It will make a good blog post and pointer for information
on who's working here.

>> - Several other people believing that the main end-user facing information source
is probably the most important tool we have to deal with either FUD, or just plain user interest.

>> Dave - do we have a "one stop shop" for pointers for committers who want to work
on the oo.o website?  In particular for text only changes (i.e. no graphics or style stuff),
are there any gotchas on any of the main parts of the site these days?
> Recently Kay updated this page: http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/website-local.html
>
> Recently at Joe's prompting we switched to using SSI and there are now no more sledgehammer
svn issues.

> (1) I should find some cycles (finally) to focus on some "how to" pages. As an example
I'll show the branding change to Drew's AOO logo, which I will do.

> (2) The other bit will be a how to about NL branding.
>
> (3) Make the news more prominent and the buttons smaller on index.html. Convert news
and button content to mdtext to make these more accessible for NL home pages.
I am just not the webmaster type even when I did that long, long, ago.
In any case I just thought I'd share some feedback:

I've been using the bookmarklet and for simple changes it's OK
but I haven't really tried some more advanced issues like uploading
images, creating or deleting pages (the GPL3, for example, can be
linked to the FSF instead of carrying it in the website) simply because
I am unsure if such changes can be undone from the bookmarklet
or one has to go to SVN to revert a change.

Another thing is that it would be nice to be able to work collectively
on a branch and switch to it at a later time, for example for the release.

cheers,

Pedro.