incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clarifying facts
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:02:59 GMT
On 03/13/12 12:42, Simon Phipps wrote:
> Thanks, Dave, very helpful.
>
> On 13 Mar 2012, at 17:17, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> These are all "facts" - however they do have a certain "negative spin". You need
to be "informed".
> :-)  No better place to come.  I'm sorry you found them spun; I felt they were concise
answers to the questions I was being asked.

Don't take this personally but I think the statements you made
clearly represent *your* misunderstandings with this project
from the start. In particular your futile resistance to the idea
that, independently of any forks, for good or for bad
OpenOffice.org lives here.

I really think this posting is very valuable though.

I propose that you write them into a FAQ and that after fixing
it according to the consensus in this list we publish it in the
openoffice.org website.

>>> No downloads of OpenOffice.org containing bug fixes or security updates have
been made available for end users since Oracle stopped development.

I find this statement particularly dangerous: Apache OpenOffice is
by all means the official source of bug fixes and security updates
for OpenOffice.org. Also please note that it has been found that
OOo was *not* GPL compatible so we strongly recommend
developers to upgrade to AOO to avoid IP risks.

Considering we own the trademark I guess we actually could dual
name this release OpenOffice.org 3.4 and Apache OpenOffice 3.4
to make this clear (for this time only). Would that be acceptable to
the ASF?

Pedro.