incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:08:03 GMT
On 3/12/12 4:34 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2012, at 12:50, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> I jest,of course.
>>
>> But seriously, there are some claiming that "all" of the
>> OpenOffice.org project went over to LibreOffice and that the Apache
>> has zero experience with this code base.  I know this sounds crazy,
>> but how can we best refute that statement?
>
> Out of interest, where have you seen that statement from an authoritative source? The
former community seems spread between the AOO project and LibreOffice to me, and all the comments
I have seen (and made) occupy that reality.

you can hear such statements all over ...

Maybe not authoritative but at it happened at the official LibreOffice
booth.

A friend of mine visited the LibreOffice booth at the Cebit and asked
why she should use LibreOffice. She was told that LibreOffice is the
successor of OpenOffice and that OpenOffice doesn't longer exist. She
told the guy, well I have heard about Apache OpenOffice and that IBM has
joined this project as well. It seemed that she was using the words. The
guy who ever it was, was not amused reacted very angry and told her
Apache is trying something since 1 year and are not able to deliver
something and if she want something from IBM the booth is there ...
After this somewhat strange reaction the guy stopped talking to her.

I was at least surprised by this reaction and didn't understand it. Even
if we are 2 projects we have or at least should have the same goal and
that is to increase the eco system around ODF.

Juergen