incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Bauer <>
Subject Re: [Translate] Users for Pootle Server
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2012 22:09:14 GMT

09/03/2012 21:22, sgrìobh Rob Weir:
> OK. I think we have a volunteer project admin for the AOO Pootle
> project. That is Raphael, right?
As an l10n admin you mean? Which would be fine. However, a single person
can't realistically be admin to oversee all language projects from a
linguistic point of view. While many of us can handle more than one
language, there's no one that can handle all of them.
> Most of us are not familiar with how it was handled before, so it is
> good to discuss the details, so we all understand it.
Which is why I suggested that the interested/involved parties sign up
for accounts over on the LibreOffice Pootle server just so they see how
it works. I *don't know* all the technicalities of how Pootle works either.

> Right now it is configured so all Apache committers can login and have
> review and commit rights.  Non-logged in users (everyone else) can
> view, suggest and submit translations.
> What are we missing?
> Would it work, for example, if the translation leads become Apache committers?
This is all making localization of OO unnecessarily complicated. Looking
at it another way - is there a way of separating the signup and rights
management of Pootle on Apache from the rest of the rights management on
Apache? All the necessary localization tools and processes are there
within Pootle. The only problem we're facing is that the only signup and
rights management path at the moment is via the standard Apache signup
etc. We need to make the two separate.

I've done you some screenshots of what a locale admin account looks like
in Pootle (

The Overview (page 1) is, well, the overview, it shows you what projects
a project admin has enabled for your locale cause not every locale does
all projects. Gaelic for example isn't bothering with the Help files.

Page 2, Permissions, is where a locale adming adminsiters which other
registered users (the dropdown on the left) they want to assign what
rights to. Pootle is very efficient here. It allows for very flexible
handling of user input, ranging from pure viewing and suggesting (for
folk with questionable language skills for example) to committing and
overwriting. Within Pootle I hasten to add, although I can commit
translations to Pootle or overwrite files does not mean I automatically
have the rights to overwrite LibreOffice code.

Page 3 is the Review screen which flags various issues such as missed
placeholders etc. Also allows zip download of the po files (probably not
to every users though, not sure, I've only ever had a locale leader

Page 4, Overview, is where I drill down to individual po files, either
to then translate strings online OR to upload a po file I've edited offline.

There's more but I think those are the important bits for this
discussion. The only thing we really need, the way I see it, is to keep
the two rights management processes separate, then enable all the Pootle
features and just go with what Pootle offers. At some point, someone
picks up all the translations and ports them to wherever the black magic
happens to create builds. Simples :)

View raw message