incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [DRAFT]: Request for an early review of an potential Apache OpenOffice release
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 16:58:44 GMT
Hi,

I would like to send  out the following email to the general incubator
mailing list to ask for early feedback related the general Apache
requirements. The main intention is to address potential issues asap and
to save time later on.

Any opinions or improvements?

Juergen

###
Hi,

the Apache OpenOffice podling project is moving forward to a first
release that is long expected by the OpenOffice.org community and users.

You know that Apache OpenOffice is the continuation of OpenOffice.org
and that the project is very huge, has a very long history and a very
huge user base all over the world.

We did a lot of IP clearance work to become Apache conform and we would
like to get some early feedback if we are in shape with the Apache
guidelines for a potential release.

We are preparing developer snapshots since several weeks for our project
members to test and review. This developer snapshots can be found under

Source package
http://people.apache.org/~jsc/developer-snapshots/src_releases/srcrelease.html

Binary package
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots

The mac version is also signed and the check files can be found in the
download directory directly
http://people.apache.org/~jsc/developer-snapshots/macos/r1296433/

NOTE: be careful with the binary packages and save your office user
profiles. We provide full install sets to test system integration and
upgrades. And we are currently not able to migrate installed extensions
because of the removal of the Berkeley DB. But we are working on this.
You can easy rename your user profile can test our snapshot build and
can rename your user directory afterwards.

Right now we are focusing on show stopper issues but nevertheless we
would like to invite you to review the source packages and also the
binary packages if they fulfill the Apache requirements (e.g license,
NOTICE, ...)

We know that we have no RC candidate right now and that it would require
some work by you. But because of the complexity of the project we would
be very much appreciate any kind of early feedback at this time. And the
main goal is to fix potential issues early and to save time later on
when we have a first RC in place.

On behalf of the Apache OpenOffice PPMC

Juergen
###