incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Fernand Vanrie <...@pmgroup.be>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 08:12:16 GMT
I installed 3.4 on windows

3.3 is gone, what can been repaired, but:  all the extensions and there
macro's are gone as wel. Problematic is that the Menu-toolbars of the
deleted extensions are still present and pops up when starting. There is
no way to delete this extentsion-related-toolbars.
We only can reinstall the extensions !

Greetz

Fernand

> It is one thing to encourage users to remove their older versions.
>
> It is another thing to automatically remove them and, along with that, features that
they are relying upon.

> I don't think the ability of OO.o to replace versions in the same line (i.e., 3.* --
and 3.* did not remove 2.* and 1.* as far as I know) is the proper precedent.  I think how
LibreOffice endeavored not to do that with their first and subsequent releases is the proper
precedent.  This is not about wearing the crown, it is about serving the user community.

>   - Dennis

should not overload prior versions of OO.o.  I recommend that AOO 3.4 install in its own locations
and not do anything that would prevent side-by-side functioning.  (My recommendation would
be that it do that anyhow.  But with known breaking of an important down-level feature, that
becomes imperative.)

> In general, it is important for OOo 3.3 and earlier installs on
> desktops to go away. Old releases increasingly become security
> hazards, especially if they are no longer being actively maintained.
> We do a great service to the community in general if we overwrite them
> with the AOO 3.4.  This is true even given the inconvenience the user
> experiences from the need to reinstall extensions.
>
> In any case, I think the overwrite is fine.  It is what OOo 3.3 and
> OOo 3.2 did as well by default.  We can document in the install
> intructions how this can be overridden.
>
>> I think there should be OOo-dev releases only until this is handled as well.  It
is now clear that integration has problems and there is no reason to provoke more of it.

> If you are volunteering to re-write the extension manager client
> database support, please speak up and let us know your plan.
>
>> I also suspect that it is not a good idea to rebrand the Extensions and Templates
pages at SourceForge quite so strongly, since the only extensions that are there now are for
OO.o (and perhaps LibreOffice).