incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject GSoC 2012 is coming
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2012 15:25:51 GMT
Hi;

As you know, once each year Google selects projects that they
would like to fund by paying students for tasks.
The Google Summer of Code program is a huge opportunity for
projects like OpenOffice in order to achieve technical objectives
and to get new blood into in the project.

Being under the ASF umbrella greatly simplifies the administrative
efforts to participate in such program but still we have homework
to do:

1) We need good project ideas. These necessarily have to be
coding projects and have to have an estimated difficulty that
permits effective results in a summer.
2) We need mentors; that is, people with technical skills that
know what to be done and can provide help in the details. It
obviously also means people with time to review code and
guide complete newcomers to the code.

It is not specifically required but some logic would imply that:
1) Mentors will have to be committers to ensure the results
will become part of source tree.
2) Selected students will have to submit an ICLA.
3) A proposed project must be backed by a mentor.

I would also expect that being very optimistic we will get
very few slots for AOO: we are under friendly competition
with other Apache projects that are interesting for students
and that have experience dealing with GSoC students from
previous years.

best regards,

Pedro.