incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Paolo Pozzan <pa...@z2z.it>
Subject Re: Localization process (Re: [RELEASE]: preparation for our first release)
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 19:28:37 GMT
Il 01/03/2012 11:49, Andre Fischer ha scritto:
> On 29.02.2012 21:59, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>>
>>> This is easy and I can answer it too: Sun/Oracle used to prepare the
>>> data from the sources and uploaded them to a Pootle server; then
>>> translation teams would operate on the PO files (online or offline)
>>> before an announced "translation deadline"; at that point, control was
>>> back in the hands of Sun/Oracle: they used data from the PO files to
>>> repopulate the SDF files used in the source. But this probably adds
>>> nothing to what you already know: in other words, the code<->Pootle
>>> conversions have always been "black boxes" for translation teams.
>>
>> Actually, the code<->Pootle conversions haven't always been "black
>> boxes": what I wrote is true for recent years, but before that the
>> translation teams delivered the sdf files directly, so we went an extra
>> step, even though not directly to the source code. That process was
>> managed by Paolo Pozzan, who recently joined the list, so he might
>> provide some useful insights.
>>
>> Paolo,
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers
>> contains the information we have so far. If you know more about any of
>> the steps involved, feel free to complete it.
>
> And please don't be shy. I have no prior experience with the translation
> process. I just pieced together what I found in the makefiles and source
> code of tools.

Fortunately I'm not shy, just busy with other things ;-)
I added the few things I know to the wiki page. I am confident with all
the processes from .sdf to translators and back. If there is a way I can
help I am ready to do it, just tell me what I need to do.

>> Paolo also has Pootle backups for Italian taken in April 2011, which
>> means we might compare them to Andre Fischer's files
>> http://s.apache.org/5YT (thread: http://s.apache.org/k0 ) and see if
>> that backup is current. Anyway, we didn't update translations after
>> April 2011, so we surely have the latest data ("we" = "Italian
>> translation team").
>
> That sounds great. Is your data in a form that could be checked into
> extras/l10n/ directly?

I have the whole po files from pootle. I just downloaded the .sdf file
from extras/l10n. I'm going to convert it, check the differences and
then let you know.

Paolo