incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Bug 118037 - oo should warn opening/saving libreoffice files
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 22:59:29 GMT
On 02/03/2012 Simon Phipps wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2012 7:12 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" wrote:
>> This means using metadata in valid ODF files as a way of
>> discriminating against the producer.  That sucks.  The
>> generator marker is explicitly not for this purpose.
> This is a very important point and I agree entirely with Dennis here.
> Warnings where there has been a format translation are one thing, but this
> is another entirely.

We should also remember that even two 100% compliant ODF
producers/consumers (i.e., programs that write and interpret ODF in
total conformance with the standard) may behave differently since the
standard allows "implementation-defined" behavior.

For example, summing empty cells in OpenOffice Calc returns zero, while
the same operation in other ODF-capable suites yields an error. And ODF
allows this to be implementation-defined and both are right, so warnings
related to the producer are even less meaningful.

(I understand that, in the case being discussed -named ranges-, it was
concluded that this is just a not-yet-implemented feature in OpenOffice,
but I'm speaking in general).

Regards,
   Andrea.