incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Rist <andrew.r...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: How can we get OpenOffice started with Pootle?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 17:54:24 GMT

On 3/2/2012 6:52 AM, Michael Bauer wrote:
>> This is managed over the Apache Account Management. If you are
>> commiter, you should be able to login with your Apache ID
> Raphael, I'm not.
That can be changed.
> Well, as far as I know. Mice can code better than me and I don't
> intend to commit anything but translations and the odd locale data xml
> at the most.
This is not as much about contributing code (c, java, etc) as it is
about contributing to the project.  As such, translations are one of the
important areas where the community enhances the product.   This is one
area where the community and the open source model can shine -
delivering support for far more languages than that leading proprietary
office suite.
> And I suspect there will be a lot of people like me (eventually).
> Should they *all* become Apache committers?
I think for the project, it is best to bring in everyone who is involved
in the project.  So I think the answer is yes - it would be good to
bring in all of our active translators as committers in the project.
This provides a two way benefit - there is recognition of contribution
and a building of community.

One thing we should discuss here is the process for moving from
'contributor' to 'committer'.  For the code, this is fairly straight
forward.  A developer can get a copy of the code from the SVN
repository,  create/compile/test their changes, propose a patch by
attaching it to an email or bug.
This patch is then committed to the tree by a committer, and when a
developer has shown his/her mettle by proposing several useful patches
they can be offered committer rights (and eventually membership in the
PPMC - the management committee of the project).

We need to figure out a similar process for translations.  So - pushing
this back in you direction - what would be the equivalent of proposing a
patch?
Can this be done without logging into the pootle server?

Suggestions?  How do we bring the translators onboard??

> I admit to not knowing what rights exactly that bestows on a user but
> it sounds rather dangerous to me, giving people who are likely to only
> translate the rights to commit other stuff at the same time.
sometimes a little danger is good?     (also - anything that can be
broken in in the code can be unbroken - by reverting the change)

> But maybe I just misunderstood you?
>
> Michael
Andrew