incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:28:23 GMT
Hi Rob,

Le 12 mars 12 à 13:50, Rob Weir a écrit :

> I jest,of course.
> But seriously, there are some claiming that "all" of the
> OpenOffice.org project went over to LibreOffice and that the Apache
> has zero experience with this code base.

IMHO we should not spend too much of (our precious) time about that.

>   I know this sounds crazy, but how can we best refute that statement?

As Tino Rachui teached me : the better answer is always the technical
answer. So let's produce our first release.

After all, we are OpenOffice.org, and we do a very good work !

> Here's my idea:  Respond to this note and tell me how many years
> experience you have working with OpenOffice.

(my personal problem is to find more time to contribute. I'm very
busy at work for the next two weeks :-/  )

>  This could be in any capacity, as a coder, tester, documentation,
> marketing, forum volunteer, whatever.  Please count relevant work
> with related projects, such as Symphony, BSD ports, OOo4Kids, ODF,
> etc. as well. How many years were you doing this before the project
> came to Apache?

Disclaimer : everything I did was as simple volunteer, without being
paid, and you can take what you need in in the list.

2003 : first participation as simple contributor.
(some contributions between )
2011 : supporting Apache OpenOffice since the begining

The most important I learned in OpenOffice.org (code, tools and
everything) was with Philippe Lohmann, Pavel Janik, Oliver Braun,
Stephan Schaefer, Tino Rachui, Herbert Duerr and some other nice guys
help  (apologies for the one I forgot).

As OpenOffice.org core dev (since 2005) :

- I participated to ~ 50 child workspaces (see :  http://
wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:Ericb ), OpenGL transitions on
Mac OS X, the Apple remote implementation (Mac OS X too), I hacked a
bit the packaging processn, contributed  to the Impress annotation
mode (continued in OOo4Kids)

My most important concern with OOo4Kids is about performance issues
with poor old slow machines, without much of RAM

Other important contributions :
- Google SoC mentor since 2006, 4 times for OpenOffice.org (last was
for Go-Oo and EducOOo), I mentored more than 20 students, and trained
around 15 people who became OpenOffice.org Domain developers
(something equivalent in Apache OOo could be "Commiters") and I
promoted online courses "ClassRooms" about OOo core source code, and
everything around sharing the knowledge with developpers.

As the main developer of OOo4Kids and OOoLight ( Mac OS X, Linux,
Windows, 18 locales (recently Polish)), and ready to share my
knowledge with Apache OpenOffice people, I think I know a lot in OOo
surce code.

The part I know the most in OpenOffice.org source code are : sal,
solenv, vcl, framework, draw (shells and UI like slideshow),
Impress, svtools, sfx2, packaging process on all OS's). I can build
and work on all OS's, including portable version on Windows and Linux
ARM (armel and Debian armhf). My recent work in progress concerns
Writer and Draw shells (and more in fact).

Funny :  I have no Java skills  :-)

> If I get a good number of responses I'll put together an
> infographic on this.

No problem. Feel free to take what you consider interesting for your
paper  :-)

Regards,
Eric

--