incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Is any one here familiar with OpenOffice?
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:19:27 GMT

On 12 Mar 2012, at 16:08, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:

> On 3/12/12 4:34 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:
>>
>> Out of interest, where have you seen that statement from an authoritative source?
The former community seems spread between the AOO project and LibreOffice to me, and all the
comments I have seen (and made) occupy that reality.

> you can hear such statements all over ...
>
> Maybe not authoritative but at it happened at the official LibreOffice booth.
>
> A friend of mine visited the LibreOffice booth at the Cebit and asked why she should
use LibreOffice. She was told that LibreOffice is the successor of OpenOffice and that OpenOffice
doesn't longer exist. She told the guy, well I have heard about Apache OpenOffice and that
IBM has joined this project as well. It seemed that she was using the words. The guy who ever
it was, was not amused reacted very angry and told her Apache is trying something since 1
year and are not able to deliver something and if she want something from IBM the booth is
there ... After this somewhat strange reaction the guy stopped talking to her.

That doesn't sound good - any idea who was involved (you can e-mail me privately if you prefer)?

> I was at least surprised by this reaction and didn't understand it. Even if we are 2
projects we have or at least should have the same goal and that is to increase the eco system
around ODF.

Absolutely agree. It's clear that both projects are staffed by experienced people and have
an equal claim to be carrying on the work of the former OpenOffice.org project, and neither
has the exclusive claim to be the "continuation".

S.