incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all volunteers: It is time to test)
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 00:39:59 GMT

On Mar 5, 2012, at 2:38 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Larry Gusaas <larry.gusaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2012-03-05 3:30 PM  Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll put it to you quickly simple.  If you have been paying attention
>>> you will realize that we're discussing release blocking issues.
>>

>> I have been paying attention. Have you?
>> In the thread "Calling all volunteers: It is time to test" you wrote
>>
>>   "We could use help verifying the install in all real-world scenarios, on
>> clean OS installs,
>>   as upgrades to previous versions of OOo."  and
>>   "Please send a short note to the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org telling us
>> what platform and
>>
>>   scenario you installed (fresh install, upgrade, install next to
>> LibreOffice, etc.)."
>>
>> I did an install over OOo on my Mac and reported that it deleted the
>> extensions in my user profile.
>>
>> Dennis started this thread "[EXTENSIONS][RELEASE] (was RE: Calling all
>> volunteers: It is time to test)" to discuss if  releases of AOO should
>> overwrite the OOo version, thus deleting all installed extensions.
>>
>> Does this not require discussion?
>>

> This has been known for several months and has been part of the 3.4
> plan.  We discussed it extensively in early December.  Certainly if
> you have new information, new workarounds, new proposals, or even new
> code, then I'm new we all would love to know about it.  But if you are
> just noticing this for the first time, you might want to check the
> list archives to catch up on the previous discussion first.  Search
> for "berkeleydb".
>
> In any case your questions suggests a simple misunderstanding.  The
> issue with the extensions in 3.4 is not that the 3.4 install is
> overwriting a profile or anything like that.  It is not, as you say.
> that we are "deleting all installed extensions".  The issue is that
> the extensions info in OOo 3.3 was stored locally in Berkeley Db
> database file.  We had to remove berkeleydb because of its
> incompatible license.  So the database file is there, but, even after
> an upgrade, but we're not able to read it.  That is why the extensions
> need to be reinstalled.

Rob, I think you are the one who has a "simple" misunderstanding. This issue is being re-raised
now. Are we sure that there is no way that Berkeley DB can be used?

Subversion seems to allow it - http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#divining-bdb-version

Even if it can't be used should it be possible to hack the file to get the strings? The data
can't be too difficult to understand.

While not a functional blocker I firmly believe that this is a significant problem for AOO
and this should be addressed constructively.

Please don't give me a "where is the code" response.

Best Regards,
Dave