incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: why i uninstalled OpenOffice and went back to MS Office2003
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 17:19:56 GMT
On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:54:19 -0400
Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try MS Office 2010.  Takes 5+ seconds for me.
>
> That means OOo is less too-slow than MSO has evolved to.
>
> Perhaps AOO should try to catch up?
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 4:55 AM, Martin Tõnumaa
> <mtonumaa@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> > here´s my feedback to OpenOffice software that was available
> > in March 2012 on openoffice.org
> > You software is too slow. I have an XLS spreadsheet that i
> > want to edit. With Openoffice, it loads 3-4 seconds, with MS
> > Office 2003 it takes 0,5 sec.

Opening speeds can certainly vary with different extensions
loaded.  I cannot speak about Calc as I don't use it for much
other than very simple lists and calculation, but I noticed that
a large document under Writer takes 20-30 seconds to open when
Language Tool is installed, whereas without Language Tool it
opens nearly instantly. I regard this as a reasonable trade off -
I can remember working on documents with pen and ink, and later
with a manual typewriter; any word processor is preferable.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>