incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject [POOTLE] Work-flow for non-committer contributors (was: Proposed approach to bring the Pootle server into a well defined state)
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:26:25 GMT
Hi Jürgen,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 03:17:13PM +0100, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> Proposal
> - update the existing Pootle server with a new set of templates [2]
> based on the latest en-US.sdf [3] file that I have prepared on the
> current sources.
>
> - sync the already available language against the new templates
>
> - if no problems comes up (worked locally for me) we can start with
> the translation work o the pootle server.
>
> - integrate the new pt-BR po files on the Pootle server as well. As
> well as all other potentially new available languages
>
> - ones we have a language completed, we will integrate it back in
> the po/sdf files and integrate it our repository.
>
> For technical details how to do each step you can visit the round
> trip section under [1].
>
> We should also think about future improvements, see Andre comments
> under [1]. There is huge room for improvements and we can think
> about a continuous integration of the localizations. At least from
> the pootle server into our repo ... But that is something for later
>
> Most important is that we get a well defined start state to begin ;-)
>
> Any opinions or further ideas?

I have some doubts concerning how the work will be organized once all is
in place on the pootle server, specially the work-flow for contributors
not being committers.

If I understood clearly
https://cwiki.apache.org/INFRA/translate-pootle-service-auth-levels.html
only committers have an account and can commit translations; "however
anyone is free to submit a translation", but how will the contributor
authorship be preserved?  I guess it would be better for non-committer
contributors to submit their contribution in a bug report.

This raises another doubts:

* how do you get the po files to work off-line? I've seen Upload buttons
  on https://translate.apache.org/es/OOo/ and
  https://translate.apache.org/es/OOo_help/ but no button to download the
  po files to work off-line.

* what kind of tools are the suggested? May be someone with
  experience on this topics can enhance
  http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers#Translation
  or create a new wiki page to collect more info not oriented for
  developers but for people willing to contribute to the translation
  with no programming knowledge and/or no Apache Committer status

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina