incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Torokhov Sergey <torokhov_...@mail.ru>
Subject Re: Release Notes doesn't mention about new feature of AOO Impress for Linux (video playing via gst-plugins)
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:22:18 GMT
On Saturday 17 of March 2012 19:28:41 imacat wrote:
> On 2012/03/17 22:37, Torokhov Sergey said:
> > I looked over the "AOO 3.4 Release Notes"
> > (https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/aoo-34-release-notes.html)
> > and don't found any mention about implementation of one very remarcable
> > feature OpenOffice Impress in Linux systems.
>
>     Could you please write some sample description about this new
> feature (you may simulate the writing style of that "AOO 3.4 Release
> Notes"), for our update reference?

I don't remember exactly where I read about it for some years ago, but this
news was also described in linuxjournal.com in July 2010

(http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/openofficeorg-use-gstreamer-multimedia)

As article refered that it is common feature for multimedia and it seems that
Sun's JMF was not upgrade since 2003 year.

So, I'll try, sorry for my grammar.  It could be described for Release Notes
as:

New Features from OpenOffice 3.4 beta
Linux improvement: New multimedia framework

- Gstreamer is available now to use instead/besides of Sun's Java Media
Framework (JMF) to playback multimedia content in AOO documents (e.g. audio
and video in Impress presentations).
Note that Gstreamer (with the appropriate gst-plugins) need be installed in
system.

But I'm alerted by some text of linuxjournal.com article:

"Distribution developers can disable this support by choice if desired and
cause OpenOffice.org to revert to using Java."

So I don't know is there a possibility to use Sun's JMF now at all but due to
it's bad support for widespread multimedia formats it seems useless now for
most users. So it could be also described as (but maybe AOO is stiil support
JMF).

Maybe  it is worth to remove any mentions about JMF from description at all:

- Gstreamer is available now to use to playback multimedia content in AOO
documents (e.g. audio and video in Impress presentations).
Note that Gstreamer (with the appropriate gst-plugins) need to be installed in
system.

---
Regards