incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Query re possible Release blocker
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 09:11:07 GMT
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:56:11 +0000
Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On 14 March 2012 13:15, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Rory O'Farrell
> > <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

> >> I need to stress that the problem only arose after Win7 SP1
> >> was installed; the presence of IE9 on Win7 is sufficient to
> >> cause the problem.
> >>

> > I'm just trying to find a plausible cause that fits the
> > observed facts:
> >
> > 1) Bug reported before with Windows 7 SP1 and IE9
> >
> > 2) Bug goes away when you disable OOo's automatic updates
> >
> > 2) But bug is not observed in current testing, not in Lily's
> > testing with Windows 7, or with Ross's use.
> >
> > 3) Update server was once working, but is not working now
> >
> > So two plausible theories that are worth testing:
> >
> > A) Bug actually exists in AOO today, but no one is testing
> > with SP1 and IE 9 installed
>
> I can confirm that I am running Windows 7 with SP1 and IE9. I
> can confirm that I have seen no problems with AOO stability in
> normal use. I can confirm that I've tried to trigger this
> problem, but that is hard given that we don't have a recipe to
> reproduce the problem.
>
> I have not done any formal testing of AOO, only general use in a
> reasonably demanding environment.
>
> Ross

That is good news; the problem may have been cleared with the
code tidy up resulting from the IP clearance.  The reports were
that normally the instability manifested itself very quickly in
ordinary use.  There is some little discussion arising from
posting
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=46193&start=30
in subsequent postings, discussion which has not  yet reached
any substantial consensus.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>