incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Query re possible Release blocker
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 09:17:05 GMT
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:51:39 +0000
Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> I've not experienced this in about a month of reasonably heavy
> usage. Is there a sure-fire way to trigger the failure? I'd be
> happy to try it.

> On Mar 14, 2012 8:41 AM, "Rory O&apos;Farrell"
> <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
>
> > OOo 3.3 regularly failed on Windows 7 after Internet Explorer
> > 9 had been installed (by Win7 SP1?).  The fix was to either
> > uninstall IE9 (IE8 reinstalls) or to disable OOo's automatic
> > checking for updates.  I have no access to a Windows 7
> > installation to check against, but if this problem carries
> > forward to AOO 3.4 it will be a serious and very obvious
> > problem.  I ask if anyone has checked if either or both of
> > these fixes are necessary on AOO 3.4.

I can only give you some general discussion on the matter,
as I don't use Windows 7.

Speaking generally, the problem showed up
as instability of existing OOo 3.3 installations after Win 7
updated to SP1. Subsequent to the SP1 update, which I think
happened automatically in many cases, new installations of OOo 3.3
sometimes hung during install, or were unstable to the point of
effective unusability.  Many of the reports were uncertain - as
you know, there is no Quality Control on the standard of Users
(joke!), but either of the two fixes I outlined were reported to
work in many cases.  It was not necessary for IE9 to be used,
merely present on the computer.  If a User was an IE9
afficionado, we recommended reinstalling OOo 3.3 and performing a
repair installation, selecting in that to disable automatic
checking for updates.

I have asked the same question on the Forum; hopefully some of
the volunteers there will have relevant input, which I will echo
here.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>