incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Transliteration Font Support of Apache OpenOffice 3.4 and beyond...
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 03:01:36 GMT
Hi Donald,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:14:22PM -0400, Donald Harbison wrote:
>    I'm looking for advice on the current state of transliteration support in
>    OpenOffice. Is anyone familiar with this issue? My Dad is a Sanskrit
>    scholar, now 98 years old. Some of his manuscripts were authored in
>    WordPerfect circa 1985 with special macros to enable him to do the
>    transliteration from Sanskrit to Roman alphabets prior to publication. It
>    appears that OpenOffice 3.0 had support for specific Unicode fonts
>    supporting transliteration.

You might be talking about the Graphite fonts support, a kind of smart
font. But in general, transliteration does not depend on these features,
but rather on a font and your system/desktop capability to support
keyboard layouts. On Linux, both Gnome and KDE support keyboard layouts,
so you only need a suitable font (no need to be a smart font) and simply
switch the keyboard layout to type transliteration.

See
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9239

Regards
--