incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Distribution of Windows versions
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:41:16 GMT
On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 14:21 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 1:34 PM, drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com>wrote:

> > > There were some numbers posted on that a few weeks ago.  These charts
> > show
> > > the MirrorBrain downloads of OpenOffice, from February:
> > >
> > > http://www.openoffice.org/marketing/marketing_bouncer.html
> > >
> > > So, 90% Windows,  6% Mac, 3% Linux.
> > >
> > > But note this is not necessarily the same distribution as the overall
> > user
> > > base.  Some ports, like BSD and OS/2 are distributed on other web sites,
> > so
> > > they are not counted here.  And some derivatives of OOo are included in
> > the
> > > Linux distros directly, so are not reflected in these numbers.
> >
> > Please, and asking only for myself, if you know of a linux distro using
> > a derivative of Apache OpenOffice do name it - if you mean LibreOffice,
> > please stop calling it a derivative - it is not a valid reflection of
> > the facts, if you are referring to the former package OpenOffice.org
> > then please refer to it by its legal name.
> >

> I don't think LO makes sense in this context. We're talking about OOo
> flavors.  The relevant version of OO o distributed by distros was Go-OO.

> Their numbers would not be included in the MirrorBrain stats.

Yes quite true - historically Go-OO, Novell OpenOffice.org, SUN
StarOffice and Oracle OpenOffice were all available for Windows, none of
those packages would be reflected in the mirrorbrain stats.

Another derivative was IBM Lotus Symphony, any idea what the OS mix
looks like for that package?

Best wishes,

//drew