incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bitly analytics
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:03:12 GMT
On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 11:55 -0700, Nancy K wrote:
> I don't know how they do it,and it seems that on incubator, download and inside pages
the analytics are not up to speed.  You do not need to sign up/in just:
> 	* go to bitly.com
> 	* Type in any URL (www.openoffice.org)and selectSHORTEN
>
> 	* bitly gives a shortened URL ( http://bit.ly/GTZD )
> 	* Add a + to the end of the shortened URL ( https://bitly.com/GTZD+ )and you can see
the analytics for that page (select TOTAL in the drop down list below the qrcode)
> The download page causes an error - and here is the bitly API Documentation
>
> It seems that this analytics is not that accurate, but I thought it was interesting to
peak at.

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for sharing that tip.

As to the numbers, I wouldn't say they are inaccurate, only that you
need to approach it for what it really is.

These are numbers reflecting click-through for the unique shortened URL,
not for the destination URL. You should be aware that changes in the
destination URL or course offer different shortened URL.

So for click-through on the bitly shortened URL for
http://download.openoffic.org

this http://bitly.com/CFViE+

Best wishes,

//drew