incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Sourceforge and AOO 3.4 distribution
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:23:00 GMT
----- Original Message -----

As far as Infra is concerned, it will depend on the total size of the artifacts
being released multiplied by the number of mirrors that need to download it from
us over a 6 hour period.  We are considering rate-limiting our rsync service
to lower the peak bandwidth needed.

> - does ASF Infra feel confident the existing mirror network will support this?

I'd say most mirrors won't object once we give them a heads-up about how
much additional disk space and bandwidth will be required.  It would help
if the PPMC could provide infra with an estimate of the expected number
of total downloads per day during the first week or two of release, combined
with the typical download size, so we may provide that information to the
mirror operators and let them decide whether to stay with us or drop out.

> - can SF become a part of that mirror network in a sensible way?
>   - note that SF does not provide direct links to the download, they
> provide an intermediate page with advertising

The advertising does not exactly thrill me, and really isn't compatible with
how our mirror scripts work.