incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: AOO Web Logos?
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2012 04:11:39 GMT
On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 11:53 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Meta- question: Why is this cross-posted? This is an ooo-dev topic.
>
> On Mar 15, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > What is the latest thinking on the AOO logos?
> >
> > There is some great material on the wiki:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Application+Branding
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOOLogo+proposal
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals
>
> I like 2.4 Orb Centric Proposal Logo #4
>

> > Drew did a lot of initial work here.   But it is not clear to me
> > whether we have a final recommendation, whether the work is ongoing,
> > etc.
> >
> > If we have a design that is considered the one to go with, could
> > someone propose it as the official logo, so we can see if there are
> > any objections?  It would be good to get some closure on this.
> >
> > Also, I'll feel a little artistic this week, after doing that timeline
> > ;-).   So next I'd like to then take the logo design, and create two
> > variations that we can use to inform users about the 3.4 release.
> >
> > -- a "coming soon" webpage/blog logo that project supporters may put
> > on their websites.  It would be linked to a page that we would host,
> > with FAQ's on AOO 3.4, including information on signing up for the
> > ooo-announce list, etc.
>
> A logo is a good idea, but I think building the content of this page is primary. That
needs to be a co-operative process handled in one clear thread.

> > - a "get AOO" logo, also for supports to use on their own websites.
> > It would be linked to our download webpage on openoffice.org.
>
> Totally agree. You brought this up before.
>
> Let's see if Drew has thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > The nice thing about this approach (which is used by many other
> > projects) is we do not need to give blanket permission for anyone to
> > use our main logo for any purpose.  And we don't need to have them ask
> > permission for using our logo for these specific purposes. We provide
> > a special purpose logo to be used for these common things.
> >
> > -Rob

Hi Rob, Dave, et al

I think it makes a lot of sense to have some artwork in the way of both
'official' logos and 'preferred use' artwork for other sites to use when
linking.

So, - put together another treatment - These keep the gulls and bring
back some of the other OOo 3 design elements, the wireframe wings and
the color dots.

Just two sizes 300x100 and 120x60 px examples for the moment and a
compressed file with 4 png files and 2 source SVG (inkscape) files.

Added them to the wiki at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Logo+Proposals

I like the designs with the orb involved also.

Anyway - I'd like to put some time into this then over this weekend and
really would enjoy bouncing ideas back and forth with folks, on any of
the designs.

//drew