incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 01:05:56 GMT
>________________________________

The principle motivator we usually talk about at apache is "enlightened
self-interest".   The way the subversion developers applied that to
the aforementioned GSoC project was to ensure the resulting codebase
was useful in situations beyond the student's own itch.  That's what
good projects do, focus on good outcomes for all participants.

>This lies more in the field of religion but is usually classified as
>the difference between divine love and human love.
>
>> Contrast that with the attitude the AOO developer team would show to
>> a person wanting to contribute an AOO ->  LO migration tool to the ASF.
>> Like night and day.
>
>If you are volunteering to mentor such a project just go ahead.

Outside the scope of my interest level, but if you think the subversion
devs "punted" on svnrdump you really haven't understood their mindset
nor the scope of the actual tool that was developed.