incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:52:30 GMT
----- Original Message -----

First we're talking about a wiki page not an official project webpage.
People tend to know the difference in provenance between those two.
Second, I work with subversion developers every day and tend to know
what they think about competing version control offerings, and it's far
more enlightened an attitude towards user choice than you seem to want
to credit them with.

> We're not clearing houses of information in a wide spectrum of
> software applications.  We have projects that each develop, pubish and
> promote very specific applications for their communities.  I think we
> get into all sorts of mischief if we say that the Subversion PMC is
> now responsible for offering neutral advice to all comers on the
> merits of all version control systems.

Well no but you don't need to pretend you are the be all and end
all for every OpenOffice user on the planet at this particular point
either.

>>  for instance (yes you chose an apt example but just don't know
>>  the true history)- our role organizationally is to facilitate user
>>  satisfactionno matter where they may ultimately find it.
>>

> I disagree.  We're not a clearinghouse for information on every open
> source editor in existence, their merits, tradeoff's and specialties.

That's a pity because that's the role i tend to place Apache projects in,
one which differentiates them from the rest of the open source world.
No that does not mean you need to be proficient in everything any more
than it means you should only be proficient in your own codebase.