incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Competition (was: Clarifying facts)
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:30:48 GMT
On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 23:53 +0100, RGB ES wrote:
> El día 13 de marzo de 2012 23:36, Joe Schaefer
> <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> escribió:
> > You're entitled to a dissenting opinion as an individual,
> > but shaping the marketplace is not part of what we do
> > as a public charity.  Just look at how the subversion
> > project has handled contributions related to git migration tools
> >
> > for instance (yes you chose an apt example but just don't know
> > the true history)- our role organizationally is to facilitate user
> > satisfactionno matter where they may ultimately find it.
> >
> > Friendly internal competition in terms of overall community is fine,
> > but respect for other open source projects should not be sacrificed
> > as a result.  LibreOffice is part of the landscape now, like it or not,
> > and failing to mention them simply to avoid elevating any attention
> > towards them is not what I'd call friendly internal competition.
> >
> Indeed: there is a big difference between "competition" and "war". For
> example,

Actually there is nothing similar between competition and war, IMO.

Competition is first and foremost about respect, first for yourself and
then for your competitors.

War is about dominance and capitulation and the willingness of one
party, or all parties, to engage in the ultimate act of disrespect.

> KDE and gnome guys compete on the "desktop market", but they
> are able to organize the "desktop summits" together, sharing not only
> costs.

I believe that is a very good example of healthy competition - and would
hope that, for instance, next years CeBit show in Germany might be a
good place for the two projects to do something similar.

> AOO and LibO are NOT enemies.

Best wishes,

//drew