incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Doctype of websites
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:40:52 GMT
>________________________________

Well sort of. If you look at the actual document on the site
you will probably find it contains an XHTML doctype even now.
The thing is that the CMS build system as Dave has designed it
will strip most of the header matter out of the file and replace
it with a generic one supplied by a template.

>   If that's not the problem
>> then you need to refresh your pages as they
>> are identical on the server.
>>
>> As to why the doctype is different from the original
>> document, that's probably due to the way Dave worked
>> out the templates for the site.  If we need to scrape
>> the doctype out of each individual page that will require
>> some perl coding work, some templating work,
>> and another sledgehammer style commit- ie not something
>> to be taken lightly.
>
>Our pages had been XHTML with all the differences to HTML. And we tried
>to produce valid pages (including W3C check button). It is not
>impossible to change the pages and it can be done bit by bit while
>reviewing the pages. But the aim should be clear.

Well I can't advise you how to proceed from here, only point out
that there is some impedance mismatch between how your site builds
work and what's actually in these documents.  The choice seems
to be either standardize all the documents on a common doctype
or have the perl code pull the doctype out of the original document
if it exists and pass it along to the template as an argument.

You might even be better off just not supplying a doctype at all
and letting the browser figure it out.  Up to you folks.

>Kind regards
>Regina

about mailing lists to the new situation.

>>> http://ooo-site.apache.org/de/foren.html