incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: Clarifying facts
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:36:03 GMT
On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 16:25 +0000, Simon Phipps wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Probably because of all the progress being made towards a v3.4 release, I have been getting
an increasing number of enquiries about the status of Apache OpenOffice from a variety of
sources.  I'm attempting, in good faith, to maintain an objective status summary the Apache
OpenOffice incubator project to report to these enquiries.

> I've had a commentator assert that the statements below are uninformed and made-up. I
believe based on my observations all of the following statements to be true about the Apache
project; can you let me know if they are not, please, so I can present a factual status of
the project when asked?
> The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary under the new name "Apache
OpenOffice" at some point soon, which will probably be numbered v3.4.
> The release is being developed by a subset of the original developers augmented by others.

> There have been no updates to OpenOffice.org binaries released for users since Oracle
stopped development.
> There will be no new versions of a binary program called OpenOffice.org released.
> No downloads of OpenOffice.org containing bug fixes or security updates have been made
available for end users since Oracle stopped development.
> The Apache OpenOffice project now controls the original OpenOffice.org domain (via the
ASF) and plans to use it for future promotion of the Apache OpenOffice project.
> The Apache OpenOffice project is still in incubation and has not yet requested graduation
to a TLP.
> Thanks for your help with this.
>
> S.

hi

Maybe it would be best to direct those with questions to the project and
not to try and answer for questions about it at all.

//drew