incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew jensen <drewjensen.in...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Symantec WS.Reputation.1 Errors: What we can do
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 18:00:19 GMT
Just to add my observations.

Installed on Vista and Win7
- both machines running Avast vs Symantec.
- both cases Avast also notes to the user the exe and msi are unsigned
and offers to run them in a sandbox.
- After install as each of the modules is run for the fist time (swriter
vs soffice) then Avast again pops up and again suggests this first time
arrival be run in a sanbox. (note after saying no once it is no longer
prompted)

Anyway - just how a different anti-virus package deals with it.

//drew

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 16:39 -0500, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> > Out of curiosity I just did another download of the OOo-dev 3.4 Windows "MSI" r1293550
to see if the popularity contest had been won yet.

> > Not yet.
> >
> >  The Internet Explorer 9 download warning is "OOo-Dev-OOO340m1_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe
is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer."  The file is already downloaded
at that point, however.  The options are Delete, Actions, and View downloads (opening a separate
tool that shows downloads and status).  The Actions option includes "Don't run this program
(recommended)", "Delete", and "Run Anyway."

> >  A "Run Anyway" or a later execution of the downloaded .exe will provoke an User
Account Control message (on default configurations, even for administrator accounts) that
warns that the file is from an unknown source (that is, the .EXE is not signed) and that it
was downloaded from the Internet.

> > I also did a custom scan of the single download file using Microsoft Security Essentials.
 The scan (which is programmed to dig into these files) identified 51916 individual items
and no threats.

> > All of this is tolerable and arguably appropriate for developer snapshots.  Users
who use these builds need to rely on their own judgment about the trustworthiness of the origin
and the content of those files.

> > Note that it is the .exe that needs to be signed.  This should not be confused with
a .msi file, although I assume those can be signed also.  Apache OpenOffice does not use .msi
as the packaged binary that is downloaded.  (It appears that LibreOffice has changed that.)
 It strikes me that using external digest values (md5 and sh1 digests) on the download requires
a super-user skill set and should not be the only thing relied upon for project binary releases.

> Yes,MSI's can be installed and are required to be signed for some
> distribution paths.  Generally you want to sign what you distribute.
> Don't expect the I.E. or your anti-virus is going to deflate a 200 MB
> archive to see if some EXE inside is signed.  (And then what about the
> DLL's?)  We should be signing the whole enchilada.
>
> -Rob

(not the tar.gz or Zip ones).  The message is clearly a no-reputation-yet warning.

> > This is an on-line check.  When the file is known to be regularly downloaded, the
report will change automatically.

> > I have seen no AV warnings about the downloaded files themselves, although there
is a standard OS warning on use of such files when they were downloaded from the internet
and/or are not signed.  (In Windows 8 Consumer Preview, it is necessary to click "details"
to see that there is a "Run anyhow" selection.)

> > I saw no AV warnings after the installation on any systems having Microsoft Malware
detection and regularly-updated Windows Security Essentials.