incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Clarifying facts
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2012 17:42:01 GMT
Thanks, Dave, very helpful.

On 13 Mar 2012, at 17:17, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> These are all "facts" - however they do have a certain "negative spin". You need to be
"informed".

:-)  No better place to come.  I'm sorry you found them spun; I felt they were concise answers
to the questions I was being asked.

> On Mar 13, 2012, at 9:25 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Probably because of all the progress being made towards a v3.4 release, I have been
getting an increasing number of enquiries about the status of Apache OpenOffice from a variety
of sources.  I'm attempting, in good faith, to maintain an objective status summary the Apache
OpenOffice incubator project to report to these enquiries.

>> I've had a commentator assert that the statements below are uninformed and made-up.
I believe based on my observations all of the following statements to be true about the Apache
project; can you let me know if they are not, please, so I can present a factual status of
the project when asked?

> Try rewriting the statements

Absolutely, although I do want to avoid any apologetics, positive or negative, as I've found
people are quick to condemn expression of opinions in this area, especially by me!

>> The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary under the new name "Apache
OpenOffice" at some point soon, which will probably be numbered v3.4.

> The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary called Apache OpenOffice
v3.4 soon. All GPL code has been replaced or eliminated. Please ask ooo-dev for a list of
improvements like a native SVG implementation.

I'd probably make the second part of that a separate bullet, thus:

*  The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary called Apache OpenOffice v3.4
soon.
*  Major features of this release will include removal and in some cases replacement of GPL
code, plus a native SVG implementation. A full list of improvements is at $URL

I'd probably like a second highlight to accompany the SVG feature; which would you suggest?

>> The release is being developed by a subset of the original developers augmented by
others.

> The AOO project team includes a large number of the original developers, Symphony developers,
community developers and new developers.

The original population was much much larger so "large" seems hyperbolic here. How about:

*  The AOO project team includes a number of the original developers plus developers from
IBM Symphony and community developers old and new.

>> There have been no updates to OpenOffice.org binaries released for users since Oracle
stopped development.

> The project has focused on moving the project to the Apache License and off of Oracle
Infrastructure. Continuing to release OOo binaries was not an option.

>> There will be no new versions of a binary program called OpenOffice.org released.

> We are now calling it Apache OpenOffice. It is still OpenOffice.org.

That wasn't my point in either case or in the point below; the point was that my clients wanted
to know where to get updates to the code they were running and needed telling that there weren't
any. Do you have a better objective way to say that?

>> No downloads of OpenOffice.org containing bug fixes or security updates have been
made available for end users since Oracle stopped development.

> We are prevented at the ASF from releasing GPL code. This was discussed in June/July
2011. Subsequently, TeamOO never fully engaged with ooo-dev about bug fix versions. The TOO
individuals were on the Initial Committer list and are members of the AOO PPMC.

>> The Apache OpenOffice project now controls the original OpenOffice.org domain (via
the ASF) and plans to use it for future promotion of the Apache OpenOffice project.

> We are using the domain, it is now Apache's trademark. ALL of the legacy OOo site has
been migrated, saved and available for further development. The NLC communities are welcome
to return and work on NL versions of Apache OpenOffice and the openoffice.org website.

>> The Apache OpenOffice project is still in incubation and has not yet requested graduation
to a TLP.

> A release is a prerequisite to graduation. Once a release has been made graduation is
next on the agenda. Our mentors can correct me if I am wrong, but we have likely met all of
the other requirements.

Those are all useful gloss if there are "why" questions but I think I'd leave the original
statements as "what" answers.

Thanks again - this will also be useful when the time comes to write about the release.

S.