incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [TEST] procedures for no overwrites of existing OOo 3.3?
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2012 19:14:52 GMT
First, the safest way to avoid those problems on Windows is to install the OOo-dev 3.4 developer
builds.  These do not overload on existing OpenOffice.org installations.

If the system integration builds are used, they identify themselves as OOo 3.4 and this will
indeed cause collisions.  They might be reducible (see below), although the best solution,
especially to help mitigate regression risks for early adopters, is for the Apache OpenOffice
project to ensure that AOO 3.4 will install side-by-side with any other OOo-lineage product
installation.  I'm not sure that can be accomplished in the current drive toward a release
candidate.

Even the OOo-dev 3.4 might cause some collisions when it comes to file extension registrations
and other things.  I don't have enough configurations available to shake that out very well.
However, I have seen no collisions in the few setups I have.  This is not something I am looking
at systematically.

It is possible to direct the Windows Installer to do the installation in a different location
on the machine, but this is only where it stores the installed run-time.

Kay, I have attached screen shots that you will get in the direct copy.  These won't appear
on the list, however.

COLLISION AVOIDANCE (EXPERIMENTAL):

STEP 1: When the install reaches the "Setup Type" dialog, instead of accepting the default
"Typical", click the "Custom" radio button and then click next.

STEP 2: On the "Custom Setup" dialog that comes next, don't change the feature selections
- they are initialized to the "Typical" settings.

LOOK AT THE "Install to:" entry.  It will be to a "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"
subdirectory location.  You can change this location by clicking the "Change ..." button.
 CAREFUL: Don't change the Program Files part.  Just change the subdirectory part of the Install
to: entry, ideally to a subdirectory that does not exist and needs to be created.

WARNING #1: It is not uncommon for installs to fail when custom locations are selected.  That
is usually because something somewhere in the installation code or even the running application
has a dependency on the default assumption.  This is, in fact, something that needs to be
a test case for Apache OpenOffice releases for Windows.

WARNING #2: There remain prospects for collisions.  There may be collisions with respect to
user-installed extensions and with usage of user-specific locations (e.g., AppData) in the
Windows configuration.  Anything where the application name is the qualifier (OOo-dev 3 or
OOo 3) will collide with that use by other builds/installs.  This could be improved upon by
using the dot-level (OOo-dev 3.4 and OOo 3.4 or, better, AOO 3.4, and using those in the Program
subfolder locations too.)

 - Dennis