incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject Signing DLLs EXEs and Copyright Notices (was RE: Symantec WS.Reputation.1 Errors: What we can do)
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 19:52:01 GMT
Rob, I want to make sure that signature verification and AV scanning activities are not being
confused together.

My AV scanned the OOo-Dev Windows x86 en-US .exe of the r1293550 developer preview checked
the .exe and its interior components (all 51916 of them, if the count is to be believed) for
the things that AVs check for.  It did not remark on digital signatures at all and it found
nothing objectionable.

An attempt to execute the preview binary provokes a Windows warning about the absence of a
signature on the .exe (and, if it were distributed as a bare MSI, it would check that for
a signature).

The comment about signing parts reminds me of something though.  It is also possible and desirable
to digitally sign DLLs and the *installed* (not installer) EXE files.  It is not a requirement
for installing OOo-dev 3.4: there is no objection from the Microsoft installer and none of
the EXEs and DLLs are signed.  This is not unlike signing each of the jar files in a combined,
installable application.

 - Dennis

PS: The OOo-dev 3.4 r1293550 installed DLLs and EXEs all carry an incorrect Copyright notice
though.  The .exe files have "Copyright © 2009-2010 by Apache Softw..." (too long for the
Properties dialog) and Language German (Germany).  The DLLs have "Copyright © 2010 by Apache
Software F..." and Language German (Germany).  This is a next-level of detail down from my
QA of the deployment experience, <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Win-en-x86-Setup>.
 I will concentrate on updating and expanding that material so someone can cherry-pick whatever
seems worth fixing.