incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Hans Zybura" <hzyb...@zybura.com>
Subject RE: [DRAFT]: Request for an early review of an potential Apache OpenOffice release
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 21:53:09 GMT
I don't know much about the incubator folks and the whole process. So I
can't really judge the timing of this. But I for my part wouldn't want to be
left without dictionaries, but with a spellchecker gone wild instead, just
because I did not really understand what the note of warning meant in plain
English. The amount of work already done will be more impressive, if the
known issues are better explained, especially the most obvious ones.

Alternative wording suggestion:

NOTE: Be careful with the binary packages and save your office user
profiles before testing. Existing OOo 3.x installations will be overwritten.
We provide full install sets to test system integration and upgrades.
Known issues: Currently we are not able to migrate installed
extensions. There will be no dictionaries, therefore the spellchecker will
go wild. (We are
working on this, of course.) Please rename your user profile before testing
our
snapshot build, and re-rename your user profile after reinstalling a stable
OOo version.
We recommend using a virtual machine for testing, not your production
environment.

BTW: This would be a better wording for the note of warning on the download
site for dev snapshots as well, I think.

Hans