incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Joost Andrae <Joost.And...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Arabic localization
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:54:06 GMT
Hi,

one thing is localization (l10n) the other is internationalization
(i18n). I once started a Wiki page
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Arabization_efforts to collect
issue IDs regarding changes that have to be done to enhance the
application's capabilities regarding this CTL (complex text layout)
script. From my knowledge most changes will enhance Hebrew script as
well. There has been some community around Ossama Khayat from
arabeyes.org who's been working on Linux CTL and localization.
Unfortunately their localization project
http://projects.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=OpenOffice doesn't seem to
be active anymore since 2006. There were others like Debian developer
Lior Kaplan and Alan Yaniger from Israel. As far as I remember Oracle
did care about Arabic UI localization but AFAIK helpcontent wasn't
translated. I believe the issue list needs some verification but I think
it's still a good starting point for experienced developers to work on
BIDI (bi-directional support), CTL and RTL (right to left) script
languages like Arabic.

Am 23.02.2012 11:48, schrieb Ross Gardler:
> I'm aware that there is am Arabic localization pack for OpenOffice, is
> there anyone here involved with that effort?

Kind regards, Joost