incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: OOo4Kids
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2012 11:23:25 GMT

Le 9 févr. 12 à 22:33, Rob Weir a écrit :

> Hi Eric,

Hi Rob,

> I finally found a few minutes to take a look at the OOo4Kids project.
> It is a very interesting project.

Thank you very much for your time  :-)

> I like how it has simplified the UI for younger students and taken
> other steps to accommodate their needs.

A lot of the work has been done with students from several engineers
schools (UTBM, Centrale Nantes, Epitech Paris, and so on). I mentored
most of them on IRC, to understand better the OOo source code, and
how to write new code.

For the features, we worked with teachers and simple people, who did
obvious but relevant remarks. For the curious, the story of the
changes, including how things have been done, is written on our wiki
(http://wiki.ooo4kids.org).

Back to the user interface (for me the interaction between the user
and the software) is still the same, but I know what we could do to
improve a lot.

> May I ask, what the plans are for this project in the future?

Simply continue :-)  I'll send you some private notes and visions I
have in mind, and how Apache OOo is concerned.

Say next week (sorry, I'm very busy until tuesday).

> What is your current base build for OOo?

OOo4kids and OOoLight are based on OpenOffice.org 3.2.1 source code.

>   Will you be able to update it to AOO 3.4 as a base?

This is possible, but I first need to analyze the changes done with
the new config manager.  Unfortunaly, until I'll have a full diff of
the important change, I'm ... blocked  :-/

Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə
Blog : http://eric.bachard.org/news